Napoleon Series Archive 2003

Re: N`s Grand Larceny
In Response To: Re: N`s Grand Larceny ()

Hah! You were fast out of the trap, and your smoke screen is pretty good, BUT . . . . you didn`t answer the question.
My source for this fact is OMAN, Volume I. Oman, you may remember, is my source for the truth about that swine Suchet. We had a long debate about him some while back (repression, extortion, plundering, murder, etc etc); Oman came out of that very well. I have now been looking at N`s financial methods for some time; to say that they are `iffy` is an understatement. On one occasion he wrote to Jerome and said: `you are costing me money; I will have to make war to support you. In Spain we see what he meant. Junot`s invasion of Portugal is also interesting; what about the priceless illustrated manuscripts that he stole from the Lisbon library and that his widow sold to the French government for 54,000 francs??
Back to the point: where did the money from the theft of the wool in Burgos go?? PLEASE don`t tell me that N `saved half his allowance and was frugal even with his underpants; he had to wage war just to pay for Imelda`s hat bill for one month. The cellars of the Tuileries were stuffed with treasure; M-L took wagons of the stuff with her in 1814.
N was a master crook; he allowed ALL his marshals and associates (Bourienne?) to loot and plunder as they wished. The fish rots from the head. So, where did the wool money go???

Messages In This Thread

N`s Grand Larceny
Where it ended up?
Army confiscation...
Re: Army confiscation...
Re: Army confiscation...