Napoleon Series Archive 2003

Re: Viewing History Through Rose Colored Glasses

Excellent point, very well said !

The more I read letters and documents of this time, the more I am convinced that it existed some kind of Tacite agreement between them. They had their own rules of war

This letter Suchet wrote to Blake is very clear about this rule of war

Marshal Suchet to General Blake
From the camp before Valencia, 6th January 1812
General,
The laws of war define a limit for human suffering ; that limit has been reached. Today, the Imperial army stands ten fathoms from the core of your defenses ; in a few hours, several breeches can be opened, at that time a general assault by the French columns shall fall upon Valencia.
If you wait until that terrible moment, it will no longer be within my power to stem the fury of the soldiers, and you alone will answer before God and before mankind for the evils which shall befall Valencia.
A desire to spare the great city from total ruin has compelled me to offer an honorable capitulation. I have pledged myself to preserve the officers' baggage, and to insure respect for the inhabitants' property ; I need not say that the religion that we ourselves profess will be revered.
I will await your response for two hours, and I salute you with the highest esteem,
Marshal of the Empire,
Signed: Count Suchet.

Messages In This Thread

Viewing History Through Rose Colored Glasses
War Crimes -- A Modern Invention?
Violating the 'Laws of war'
the 'Laws of war'
Re: the 'Laws of war'
Re: War Crimes -- A Modern Invention?