Napoleon Series Archive 2003

Re: John Campbell was the man !!!...I believe...

Gunter,

Two more extracts you might be interested in.

From Sibornes 'History' page 79

""The 42nd Highlanders having, from their position, been the first to recognise them as a part of the enemy's forces, rapidly formed square; but just as the two flank companies were running in to form the rear face, the lancers had reached the regiment, when a considerable portion of their leading division penetrated the square, carrying along with them, by the impetus of their charge, several men of those two companies, and creating a momentary confusion. The long-tried discipline and steadiness of the Highlanders, however, did not forsake them at this most critical juncture: these lancers, instead of effecting the destruction of the square, were themselves fairly hemmed into it, and either bayoneted or taken prisoners, whilst the endangered face, restored as if by magic, successfully repelled all further attempts on the part of the French to complete their expected triumph. Their com¬manding officer, Lieut. Colonel Sir Robert Macara, was killed on this occasion a lance having pierced through his chin until it reached the brain; and within the brief space of a few minutes, the command of the regiment devolved upon three other officers in successions Lieut. Colonel Dick,* who was severely wounded, Brevet Major Davidson, who was mortally wounded, and Brevet Major Campbell, who commanded it during the remainder of the campaign.""

* Major General Sir Robert Dick, K.C.B., K.C.H., was killed at the battle of Sobraon, on the 10th February, 1846.
Colonel John Campbell, C.B., died on the 31st March, 1841.

and another letter to Siborne

Sergeant Alexander McEween, 42nd Highlanders, at Quatre Bras
Memorandum. No date.

The 42nd were not a quarter of an hour in the field before they were charged by the Lancers. They must have been at the time a little in advance of the Namur road, expecting the remainder of the Brigade to form upon them. The 44th moved up to the left instead of the right of the 42nd, its proper place. A few skirmishers were out in front. Lancers appeared approaching quietly as if reconnoitring.
Sergeant McEween said to his commanding Officer, "Those are French Lancers." The latter replied, "No, they belong to the Prince of Orange!" Sergeant McEween said he was sure they were the 3rd French Lancers, whom he had formerly seen when a prisoner of war. Proposed to fire at them to see what notice they would take of the shot, He fired, and they immediately advanced against the 42nd. The skirmishers ran in with the cry, “Square, Square, French Cavalry!"
The Lancers overtook two Companies in the act of completing the Square. Several of the 42nd were cut off, but a portion of the Lancers became hemmed inside the Square by the remainder of those two Companies, and were instantly bayoneted.
The Brigade formed line and advanced. The 79th skirmishing down by the ditch and hedges in front of the French position. A great fire from the close skirmishers, and cannonade from the French heights. Retired on perceiving the French Cavalry, and formed squares.
The French Cavalry wore blue cloaks. The 42nd observed that the only effect produced on them by their fire was to make the French Dragoons reel back a little in their saddles. A cry was raised, "They are in armour, fire at their horses!" There was constant repetition by each Regiment of deployment into line and re-formation of square. Sergeant McEween was wounded down at the ditch.

sorry nothing on the flank company captaines

Regards

Mark

Messages In This Thread

British Bataillon commanders at Waterloo
Re: British Bataillon commanders at Waterloo
John Campbell was the man !!!...I believe...
Crippled officers
Re: Crippled officers
The deat of Macara
Comand of Grenadier Company & 42nd at Waterloo
Re: Comand of Grenadier Company & 42nd at Waterloo
Re: Comand of Grenadier Company & 42nd at Waterloo
British officers fighting on foot
Re: British officers fighting on foot