Napoleon Series Archive 2003

Re: Unwelcome peace?
In Response To: Unwelcome peace? ()

I doubt very seriously that the French army 'hungered' for war upon Napoleon's return. France itself was worn out from the endless wars from 1792 on. From at least a practical viewpoint, I would take Napoleon's desire for peace seriously in 1815.

As for the French economy being based on war and loot, that notion was substantially disproven last summer by Evan Polley, one of our forum members. Additionally, if you take a look at Owen Connelly's Napoleon's Satellite Kingdoms, you'll find a good case being made that more treasure left France as a result of the wars than came in.

Peace would also bring more foreign trade, especially water-borne foreign trade and would also allow French industry and agriculture to prosper. It should also be remembered that in the relative peace from 1800-1803, the French army had been reduced, as some of its units were put on a peace footing in 1810-11. There were no mutinies or threats from the army over those two interludes.

While your theories are interesting, I don't see the logic or sustainment behind them as being viable.

Sincerely,
Kevin

Messages In This Thread

What made them follow?
Re: What made them follow?
Re: Age Old Question