Napoleon Series Archive 2003

Re: Disposition of forces-Great Britain 1810-1812

You folks are wonderful. This is how questions are supposed to be answered, but so seldom are -- thorough and on topic. I ask what time it is, and you tell me how the watch works.
What I think I read, Ron, is that in Great Britain circa 1812 there were abut 6500 infantry of all types whose training was complete, and about 700 cavalry in same state of training. Or does my summary include soldiers "in training" also?

If my summary is accurate, what did the 25 (14 England + 5 Scotland + 6 Ireland) district commanders actually command? Would I be correct that each district headquarters included arsenals, supply depots, et.al. for equipping a much larger military force than the total of my summary?

Were these districts were a combination of skeleton staff, similar to that of a peacetime army, plus militia? If yes, how did briefly militia training compare with regular army?

I suspect training was superior to that of American militia, perhaps comparable to National Guard training -- that is, short period of intense basic training followed by periodic refreshers that rendered troops ready to parade, but not to fight. I also assume membership in a militia unit was a method of avoiding Spain and/or impressment.
Mr. Lind's response to Mr. Cook suggests a prison environment comparable with Attica or the Federal penitentiary at Marion, Illinois -- dangerous as hell.

Regarding POWs, What I think I'm reading is that there were not more than about 3000 POWs in hulks in Portsmouth harbor because there weren't many hulks. Surrounding Portsmouth, how many more POWs circa 1812?

Messages In This Thread

Disposition of forces-Great Britain 1810-1812
Re: Disposition of forces-Great Britain 1810-1812
A Short P.S.
POW's in France
Re: POW's in France
Re: POW's in France
PWs Never Have a Nice Day!
Re: PWs Never Have a Nice Day!
turn your coat...or else