Napoleon Series Archive 2003

Re: Dartmoor Prison - still in use

HK,

The view from the north, the Two Bridges side, can be impressive, on the days it's not raining, but you don't need me to tell you how miserable Dartmoor is when it's wet. The main gate is approached through Princetown itself, and all you get to see is some trees, a large wall and a glimpse of the gateway. Since this falls away from the level of the road it doesn't look much at all.

I lived in Plymouth for years, and was continually frustrated because the places I wanted to see, The Citadel and the Royal William Yard, were still occupied by the military. It was only after I left that the Dockyard was opened up for development. I have a friend who is one of the architects working there now, he tells me the sense of history is palatable, whole sections, like the rigging stores, that would be instantly recognisable to the men who fitted out Byng's ships, never mind Nelson's. I've always been aware that there had to have been an extensive support system in place to maintain a military effort in the pre-industrial age, but I don't think I've ever really appreciated it's importance.

Did you ever visit Plymouth's landward defences ? They are very well preserved, especially the Palmerston Forts, like the one at Crownhill. Built in the 1840s and 50s when the perceived threat was of French Invasion. Now where have I read about that before ?

Regards, Gary

Messages In This Thread

Disposition of forces-Great Britain 1810-1812
Re: Disposition of forces-Great Britain 1810-1812
A Short P.S.
POW's in France
Re: POW's in France
Re: POW's in France
PWs Never Have a Nice Day!
Re: PWs Never Have a Nice Day!