Napoleon Series Archive 2003

Re: General Foy
In Response To: Re: General Foy ()

thanks for your response, forthe forums info i collect LoH crosses and related paperwork. The letter i am translating is from Foy to Lacepede, Grand- Chancelieu of the Legion d'Honneur in Paris, Foy who is stuck in spain as a Gen d'brigade (2nd Corps), writes on the 11th July 1809 that Marshal Soult said he had nominated him for Commander of the Legion d'honneur, but the letter was in despatches,etc that were ambushed and lost. He therefore appeals direct to Lecepede to be given the Cross, and states his reasons ie he has done a good job in spain!, Lacepede has written across the top, Petitioner No 33420, from your info ,Foy waited until Jan 1813 for his cross, I find this letter interesting as it's the first i've seen where a senior officer asks for his due reward direct, the list of Colonels and Generals who received the cross in the Almanach 1810 when published must have really upset him? and as all crosses were only given by Napoleon, why did he make him wait 4yrs? perhaps Napoleon had not entirely forgot or forgiven Foys rash voting in 1804?

Messages In This Thread

General Foy