Napoleon Series Archive 2003

Several questions.

Markus,

Thank you for providing the additional information. My memory is not what it used to be. I last studied this topic over 40 years ago.

Concerning the Hess painting: These fanions, from the 13th Regiment, do not agree with the ZfHK article. There should be one diagonal separating the top and bottom colors. The description has a shield shape, not a round shape, with the number or devise in the middle. The form and size of the Hess illustrated pole does not match the description. It is my recollection that the black pole, with its round brass finial, was put inside a gun barrel not on a separate pole.

I will have to review Deroy's regulations to see what the position of the Zimmerman was within the company structure. As I believe that the fanions were used for company alignment, this would have to be consistent with the person carrying the fanion.

Hess is not known for accuracy in his paintings, often using materials contemporary with his painting, but not contemporary with the subject. I do, however, love his style!

I will review Muller/Braun, both text and plates, this evening and report back tomorrow.

Steve

Messages In This Thread

Bavarian infantry fannions
Re: Bavarian infantry fannions
Re: Bavarian infantry fannions *PIC*
Several questions.
Re: Several questions.