Napoleon Series Archive 2004

Re: Ranks
In Response To: Re: Ranks ()

About the 9 regiment (Viana regiment)
On December 31, 1807 it was disbanded by order of general Taranco.
It seems not to have integrated the future Portuguese Legion.
In June 20, 1808 it was ordered to gather in Porto, for order of the Provisional Committee of Junta of Porto, and on October 14 it was formally reestablished.

1808 and 1809 are confusing. It was the time of rebirth of a army and search to complete full establishment.
Changes made during this period are very great, and in Porto, we must understand that the Junta was opposing to anything, as the Junta wanted to get control of everything, not recognizing the Conselho.
This take time, thatís why i think in the northern regiments were made lot of changes,

For example( this is part of my work)
In the ends of 1809 they were to the service of the Portuguese army 164 English officials (1 marshal; 1 lieutenant-General; 1 Major-General; 13 brigadiers, 17 colonels, 36 Lieutenant-colonels; 20 majors, 34 captains; 10 lieutenants; 11 standard-bearers and 20 surgeons. In 1810 its number reached the 210.
Between 1809 and 1814, entered in the army Portuguese around 343 British officers being 13 generals officers, 15 colonels, 29 lieutenant-colonels, 72 captains, 163 lieutenants and 22 second lieutenant.
During the same period, left the army 876 Portuguese officers, being 9 general-officers, 15 colonels, 32 lieutenant-colonels, 64 majors, 292 captains, 222 lieutenants and 242 second lieutenant.
During the same period 533 new Portuguese officers entered in the Army, and as in the military career, to reach a position of superior official takes a long period of time to travel, and once 1809 lacked superior officials, the time would only allow the new officials to reach them I post higher.

Messages In This Thread

Ranks