Napoleon Series Archive 2004

Re: Austrian unit of tirailleurs Valaques.

Robert:

Thanks for the information and I appreciate you explanations. It makes much more sense to me.

I did my serious research and information gathering nearly 15 years ago. At that time I collected several OOBs for the 1814 campaigns including the Army of Bohemia. Unfortunately, I don't have the sources as I got them from a friend at the time. But your discussion got me curious and I went back and looked. The OOB I have is in French and pretty much matches the one found at this site:

http://www.histofig.com/history/empire/odb/odb_017.html

My OOB states that one of two battalions of the 10th regiment in the 4th Corps was made up partially of French prisoners and expatriates, though it was nomially Wurttemburger. Brigaded with these two battalions was a battalion titled "Tirailleurs Valaques", also identified as French. The OOB source above just identifies them as "tirailleurs." Now, one reason I accepted the notion that this battalion was French at the time was because:

It was the only unit to be called "tirailleurs" in the entire OOB. All the rest of the light units were called Jagers, Chausseurs, or Legere, even for the other Wurttemburger forces. This is true for the source above.

However, where my Friend got the information that those two battalions were made up of Frenchmen, I don't know, but I have emailed him about it.

And I agree that it is very weak evidence, to say the least, but I had it so it got me wondering. Why the unit would be titled "tirailleurs" in either 1794 or 1814 is curious, as I have never seen an Allied unit titled such, and that is true for French translations of Allied units'names. But since 15 years ago, I don't get out much, metaphorically speaking.

Best Regards,
Bill H,

Messages In This Thread

Austrian unit of tirailleurs Valaques.