Napoleon Series Archive 2004

Re: Lieutenant's pay?
In Response To: Re: Lieutenant's pay? ()

Ron;

Sorry about the double message, but my first post didn't show up on my thread for some reason. SO, they all different ways a soldier could and was compensated.

I know the pensions were made retroactive in many cases, 1815-1816 being a common date for the start of pensions for wounds received as early as the American revolution. And from the amounts and the types of wounds, the 'rate' for various wounds is pretty obvious. For most wounds, ensigns 50, Lieutenants were receiving 70 pounds and Captains 100. It is also interesting that the pensions were based on present rank rather than rank when wounded. So, for instance, Edward Cottingham of the 28th is a Lieutenant at Albuera when wounded [loss of the use of his arm], but receives 100 pounds in 1816 as he holds the rank of captain.

However, the diability resulting from the wound mattered. Other officers like Willian Stewart don't receive the 'upgrade. He is simply listed as wounded at Pampeluna in 1813, and even though he is a Major in 1816, only receives a captain's pension of 100 pounds. This difference is pretty consistent through the returns.

It is obvious that the Napoleonic wars was a transition period for the British army and the way it did business.

So, what was Charles doing receiving his 300 pounds pension in 1811 I wonder?

Bill

Messages In This Thread

Gratuity for wounded British officers
Re: Gratuity for wounded British officers
Cox and Fitzmaurice
Re: Cox and Fitzmaurice
Other ranks in hospital
Re: Other ranks in hospital
Patriotic Fund
Re: Patriotic Fund
Re: Patriotic Fund
Re: Gratuity for wounded British officers
Lieutenant's pay?
Re: Pensions
Re: Pensions
Re: Lord Palmerston
Re: Lord Palmerston
Pensions, Colonelcies, Governorships, etc.
Re: Pensions, Colonelcies, Governorships, etc.
Re: Widow's Pension
Re: Napier and Pensions
Widow's mite