Napoleon Series Archive 2004

Re: British infantry officers ranks & appointments

This is all explained in -:

Williamson, John, The elements of the military arrangemment,...... London 1982.

Allthough it predates the 1792 regulations it lays out what a regiment consists of which almost exactly matches the average complement of a standard infantry unit 1770-1807. Which includes there not being ensigns in the light and grenadier companies,

Places the corporals. States the circumstances under which the number of officers for a company gets to 4, and which rank is increased.

Its available in the British Library and maybe elsewhere.
There is not a bibliography in it and it does not explain the basis of the details in it, but those details do match what is found in Army lists and other documents.

[NB this is from memory - my notes are locked off in my laptop which I dont have with me right now]

The changes in officer complement from 1808 in the normal infantry and the light infantry batalions from 1805-ish partly follow the above explanation in becoming 4 per company due to having 100 or so men per comapny at full level, though there are also other changes with Majors and loss of the Capitain-Lieutenant appointment; for which I am not sure where these changes are notified and with any explanation as to why - I have a half suspicion the extra major is to cope with large battalions operating in two wings but hesitate to be firmer.

Regards,

Jeff Lewis

Messages In This Thread

British infantry corporals
Re: British infantry corporals
Re: British infantry officers