Napoleon Series Archive 2004

Re: Patriotic Fund
In Response To: Patriotic Fund ()

Rory

You probably know this, but I have discovered to my surprise that the Patriotic Fund was a private charity, started in 1803 by John Julius Angerstein of Lloyd's. Apparently it lapsed after the Napoleonic wars but was revived by royal decree for the Crimean war, at which time it still had a residue of 8,000 left over. (I'm sure there were quite a few Peninsular and Waterloo vets who wouldn't have knocked back a sub. 8,000!! That would have kept a few widows going!).

There is a book on the history of the Fund: "Unbroken Service: The History of Lloyd's Patriotic Fund 1803-2003" Charles Messenger MDA 2003 25.

An example of their awards:

Matthias Everard led the forlorn hope at the storming of Monte Video 3 February 1807, when twenty-two out of thirty-two men with him were killed or wounded. For this service Everard received a sword of honour from the Patriotic Fund at Lloyd's and the freedom of the city of Dublin. He was also promoted, 23 April 1807, to a company in the 2nd battalion 14th foot.

A good eg of the multiple awards discussed elsewhere in this thread. "To those who have much, much will be given" appears to be the guiding principle?

The duplication of rewards and the apparent capriciousness with which they were given seems more intelligible now I know it was a private charity.

Cheers

C

Messages In This Thread

Gratuity for wounded British officers
Re: Gratuity for wounded British officers
Cox and Fitzmaurice
Re: Cox and Fitzmaurice
Other ranks in hospital
Re: Other ranks in hospital
Patriotic Fund
Re: Gratuity for wounded British officers
Lieutenant's pay?
Re: Lieutenant's pay?
Re: Pensions
Re: Pensions
Re: Lord Palmerston
Re: Lord Palmerston
Pensions, Colonelcies, Governorships, etc.
Re: Pensions, Colonelcies, Governorships, etc.
Re: Widow's Pension
Re: Napier and Pensions
Widow's mite