Napoleon Series Archive 2004

Re: Lieutenant's pay?
In Response To: Re: Lieutenant's pay? ()

Jerry wrote:
I'll poke my nose in here and suggest that maybe patronage and political influence may have had a great deal to do with the discrepancies in these payments. Napier was very well connected. Are there examples of what an officer that came up from the ranks received?

Season's Greetings back atcha, Jerry:

No doubt politics and patronage had a great effect on who got what. From the lists I mentioned, it is 'reported' that each rank got the same pension, but WHEN varied quite a bit. However, Napier was receiving his pension while he was still in the army, something that seems to run in the face of what I thought pensions were all about--i.e. retirement. I don't know, at the moment, whether other officers were doing the same. For instance, John Whetham of the 40th lost a leg at Monte Video in 1807 as a captain, but received his pension of 200 pounds starting in 1811--as a major, so his lost leg did not curtail his military career. Did he retire in 1811?

Like a lot of things, I suspect that the Napoleonic Englishman's idea of pensions and retirement may have been different from ours. ;-j

Bill H.

Messages In This Thread

Gratuity for wounded British officers
Re: Gratuity for wounded British officers
Cox and Fitzmaurice
Re: Cox and Fitzmaurice
Other ranks in hospital
Re: Other ranks in hospital
Patriotic Fund
Re: Patriotic Fund
Re: Patriotic Fund
Re: Gratuity for wounded British officers
Lieutenant's pay?
Re: Pensions
Re: Pensions
Re: Lord Palmerston
Re: Lord Palmerston
Pensions, Colonelcies, Governorships, etc.
Re: Pensions, Colonelcies, Governorships, etc.
Re: Widow's Pension
Re: Napier and Pensions
Widow's mite