Napoleon Series Archive 2004

Re: Pension for Wounds
In Response To: Re: Pension for Wounds ()

Rory,

The only one that comes to mind is Harry Smith's:

"Soon after we reached Lisbon, I was ordered to Buenos Ayres to be near the surgeons. A board was held consisting of the celebrated Staff Surgeon Morell, who had attended me before, Higgins, and Brownrigg. They examined my leg. I was all for the operation. Morell and Higgins recommended me to remain with a stiff leg of my own as better than a wooden one, for the wounds in Lisbon of late had sloughed so, they were dubious of the result. Brownrigg said, "If it were my leg, out should come the ball." On which I roared out, "Hurrah, Brownrigg, you are the doctor for me." So Morell says, " Very well, if you are desirous, we will do it directly." My pluck was somewhat cooled, but I cocked up my leg, and said, "There it is; slash away." It was five minutes, most painful indeed, before it was extracted. The ball was jagged, and the tendonous fibres had so grown into it, it was half dissected and half torn out, with most excruciating torture for a moment, the forceps breaking which had hold of the ball. George Simmons was present, whose wound had broken out and obliged him to go to Lisbon. The surgeon wanted some linen during the operation, so I said, "George, tear a shirt," which my servant gave him. He turned it about, said, "No, it is a pity; it is a good shirt;" at which I did not-------him a few, for my leg was aching and smoking from a wound four or five inches long. Thank God Almighty and a light heart, no sloughing occurred, and before the wound was healed I was with the regiment."

While I found lists of pensions to widows of officers and a list of children receiving pensions from the Compassionate Lists I was not as successful in finding a list of pensions awarded for wounds, yet. It would be instructive if one could be found to review the details of the awards. What was interesting is that the army requested additional pension funding for the coming year in anticipation of adding widows to the pension list in that year.

Happy New Year

Ron

Messages In This Thread

Pension for Wounds
Re: Eligible Wounds