Napoleon Series Archive 2009

Re: A question of John Wilson
In Response To: Re: A question of John Wilson ()

Thanks to all.

For some time now I’m studying the Loyal Lusitanian Legion and my question comes from trying to understand what W. and Beresford want to do with the unit since they had ridden themselves from Sir Robert Wilson, is «spiritual leader».
Since Sir Robert Wilson leave Portugal in November 1809 after the Talavera campaign, the LLL was stationed around Castelo Branco covering that area until March 1810 when it was removed to Tomar «with a view to their discipline».
It will remain in Tomar until August 1810 when it goes north to fight at Bussaco in Leith division.
The struggle between Sir Robert Wilson and Beresford about what was the place of the LLL in the Portuguese army will end with the departure of Wilson. In the process the formal LLL’s organization was changed to only two battalions of light infantry, in the eve of the Talavera Campaign.
But this change was only in paper. The LLL perform as a irregular formation in that campaign and even in January 1810 Gen. Hamilton (Infantry inspector of the Portuguese army) reported that the unit was not properly trained in light infantry manoeuvres and they were nothing more than troops of the line.
I suspect that the removal to Tomar in March 1810 had the intention of training the LLL and take it to the «hands of Beresford» if I may say so; after all the LLL had been in the «front» since January 1809.
About John Wilson removal… Wellington and Beresford simply attached him to Silveira staff to control and «spy» (a confidential employment as W. put it) the Portuguese general (see W. letter pointed by Ron and D’Urban Journal pointed by Anthony).

Again thanks for the explanations and ideas.

Moisés

Messages In This Thread

A question of discipline...
Re: A question of discipline...
Wilson's removal: a question of drill?
Re: a question of discipline?
Re: Wilson's removal: a question of drill?
Re: Wilson's removal: a question of drill?
Sir Robert Wilson and the Loyal Lusitanian Legion