Napoleon Series Archive 2009

Re: the surname "le petit caporal" - only a tale

Marc,

The purpose of my above post was twofold:

1) Latham states it is found in the Mémorial de Sainte Hélène , volume 1. I found such a statement, stated by Las Cases to be part of a conversation with Napoleon having taken place between the 1st and 6th of September 1815, at

Mémorial de Sainte Hélène: Journal of the private life and conversations of the Emperor Napoleon at Saint Helena by Emmanuel-Auguste-Dieudonné Las Cases, Vol 1, p. 169. Published by H. Colburn and co., 1823:

http://books.google.com/books?id=y4xjAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA169

I assume Latham used a different edition - so Yes, Latham appears to be accurate in that such a statement is where he said it was. <;^}

2) The original post suggested an interest as to when "the little corporal" expresion first started. My post tried to show two dates where it appeared.

It appears to me that "the little corporal" was considered at its inception as an honour, not an insult. However, the same expression given to the 20th century bloke was from its inception intended as an insult in two ways, as the highest military rank he held, and that perhaps he thought of himself as a new Napoleon.

Steve

Messages In This Thread

the surname "le petit caporal"
Re: the surname "le petit caporal"
Re: William Vincent Barré
Used by Emile Marco de Saint-Hilaire.
the surname "le petit caporal" - only a tale
Vol. 1, 1st (French) edition, pp 192-193.