Napoleon Series Archive 2009

Re: Influence of sea power on French Revn. & Empir

The United States is a maritime power. It has never attempted, and never been, a dominant land power as have France, Russia, or Imperial Germany. While the land forces of the United States were large during both World War I and II, that was a temporary situation, and in War II, the United States Army based its land forces on a 90 division gamble that it wouldn't need anymore. After both wars the US Army was demobbed and shrank greatly in size. During the Cold War the active land forces of the US never approached the size of that fielded by Russia/Soviet Union.

France, Russia, and Imperial Germany all attempted to be a dominant land and naval power simultaneously and all of them failed. Generally, and historically, speaking, a nation cannot do that as it is not possible. The Russians went broke doing it. The French neglected their navy too long and never achieved it. The Germans tried it to no avail, their navy except for the U-boat arm being generally useless in War I diverting resources from what might have made the Imperial German army unbeatable in War I.

Sincerely,
K

Messages In This Thread

Influence of sea power on French Revn. & Empire
Thank you