Napoleon Series Archive 2009

Re: One could argue against that Don

I certainly would not call GAR my best book but it was certainly the one I had the most fun writing and I still chuckle over the incongruity of the thing -- a large force of well-funded, well-armed American terrorists (for want of a better word) decide to liberate Canada from British oppression so, led by a man who claims to a Polish aristocrat who fled from Czarist oppression but who is actually a former Swedish artillery officer who left his homeland because of debt, cross the St. Lawrence and engage in a week long battle in which nobody on either side (and of this I am truly convinced) was entirely sober. Part of this battle involves a naval action in which a British warship (actually a hastily-converted commercial steamboat armed with a 3-pdr gun) engages a large and better-armed steam boat, commanded by the admiral of their organization who happens to be an itinerant teacher of grammar and a lecturer in the now discredited science of phrenology.

You cannot make this stuff up, if you did, you would be laughed at without cease.

dg

Messages In This Thread

Influence of sea power on French Revn. & Empire
Re: Influence of sea power on French Revn. & Empir
Thank you