Napoleon Series Archive 2009

Aspern - Essling: You Lucky Man
In Response To: 200 years ago ()

Robert,

Many thanks for the reminder. It prompted me to get my head out of books relating to Spain - I’m currently looking at the siege of Ciudad Rodrigo - and to skim through the relevant passages in my most recent purchase, Gill’s Thunder on the Danube: Napoleon's Defeat of the Habsburgs, volume II Aspern. And in revisiting this “bloody day”, in this very readable and stirring account, it got me thinking again about the reasons why I found Masséna such an interesting character in the past – i.e. when I had only considered his military prowess. I will make a point this coming week of reading on a bit more each day in "real time" - until I have completed the volume - with a view to reading the whole work through properly when I have the time to do it justice. Although, while waiting for volume III to be completed and released, I will have to be content with reading Chandler (my only other source for this period and campaign) to remind myself how the Emperor managed to turn the tables and achieve ultimate success at Wagram. Whoever is lucky enough to be there this week; I’m sure they will have an enjoyable and, also sobering, time. Did I hear someone ask earlier about useful examples to discuss (French) military intelligence, its availability and the uses made of it? This campaign, and series of hard fought battles, might prove to be a useful enough place to start!

Best wishes

Anthony

Messages In This Thread

200 years ago
Aspern - Essling: You Lucky Man
Re: 200 years ago - sunken quality of French army
Re: 200 years ago - sunken quality of French army