Napoleon Series Archive 2009

Re: Solid Square Vs Open Square

*How can the firepower be lower in the solid square compared to an open square? The front and rear sides are still one company wide in both the cases. Perhaps the left and the right flank faces were longer with the open square?

*Did the Prussian 1812 reglement ever have a provision for open square from the "angriffs kolonne"? I read somewhere that 1812 regs abolished the open square completely and only allowed solid squares. True?

*In the British resulations, there is provision for mounted officers and supernumeraries to be assembled in the centre of the solid square.

*But I agree about the space for the accompanying field pieces. Open square is better in this regard.

*Nonetheless I recall at least 1 instance in the Peninsula where the 95th rifles marched into the fog in quarter distance columns (Mark Urban's book). Also Wellington's orders after Quatre Bras stipulated that the infantry columns retire in quarter distance columns. No accompanying battalion artillery in both these occasions. Still quarter distance columns were preferred. One wonders why.

Best
Fred

Messages In This Thread

Solid Square Vs Open Square
Prussian 1812 Regs
Re: Prussian 1812 Regs