Napoleon Series Archive 2009

Potayto vs Potawto and Canister vs Cannister

Can someone tell me what is going on? I go away for a few days and return to find a life and death struggle being waged over the subjects of whether canister pops in the tube or in the air, and the merits of the Gribeauval system vs the AN XI system. Don't tell me I have to read dozens of posts to catch up.

Let me say this about it.

First, the correct and most common spelling in English is canister with only one "n". If you have a problem spelling it, use case shot, it makes life easier.

Second, on De Scheel. Since I have the misfortune to have edited the reprint of the US edition and since it has been taken in vain, let me say this. The original De Scheel publication was two volumes, the first volume contained the results of the Strasbourg tests and the specifications of the construction of the Gribeauval system. The second, and more important, volume was an anthology of the important literature published by proponents and opponents of the system. Scheel gathered it all together between two covers and it was published in French and a most useful book it was. Frankly, I do not know if Scheel (he was actually a Dane so the "de" was added for the French market) ever fired a live round in his life but his publication got him what every academic hopes his publication will do -- a job. Scheel ended up at the War Academy in Berlin and tactfully added a "von" to his name so he could fit right in.

Both Mr. Dawson and Mr. Kiley should read the second volume of Scheel, make notes, and report back to us. I am sure it has been googlerized and Super Smith will probably find the reference. I estimate this will take them about six months, depending on their linguistic abilities, and in the meantime we can get on with something more interesting like the colours of the sword knot of the Bavarian light dragoon regiments between 15 April 1806 and 31 October 1808.

On the mistakes in the tables in the reprint, the tables were photographed directly from an original of the US edition so they were in the original edition. There are, however, no mistakes in my introduction. (If you find one, I don't want to know). If there are mistakes in those tables, it might account for why the United States lost the War of 1812.

I just looked out and it is nearly a full moon. Is it the same around the world?

dg

Messages In This Thread

Potayto vs Potawto and Canister vs Cannister
Re: Potayto vs Potawto and Canister vs Cannister
Research vs Arm Waving; Grapeshot vs Sour Grapes.
Re: Research vs Arm Waving; Grapeshot vs Sour Grap
To the best of my knowledge ....
Recueil de quelques petits ouvrages ....
Re: Recueil de quelques petits ouvrages ....