Napoleon Series Archive 2009

Re: Research vs Arm Waving; Grapeshot vs Sour Grap

Don,

I am a bit surprised that you should be attempting to close down a discussion. If it does not interest you, simply ignore it. It does interest others. Personally I have found myself pondering at least two aspects: that there was a broad range of designs of differing performance; and, that the relative performance of munitions by system and over time may have had logistical and tactical impact. This resonates with personal experience in uniform and more recent experience in various engineering projects. While artillery system details often make my eyes glaze over, this particular item has caught my attention. Apparently it has also engaged the interest of others as more than the original protagonists are contributing to the thread or raising questions.

I have also found the spin-off about Adye eiditions to be interesting, and reckon that you might have as well, considering your desire to see a reprint.

I have also been intrigued by how unclear communications can be, hence my request that people be specific about the particular munition that they are discussing and that references (including edition and page) be provided.

I agree that it is possible to see debates descend into pointlessly arcane detail. At such a point participation dwindles to almost nothing and most people don't even read those posts. Such narrow focus rarely has legs and dies of its own accord.

Please do let people have their say and not discourage discussion. This is an open Forum, provided people keep discussion to relevant matters and are constructive in their interactions.

David

Messages In This Thread

Potayto vs Potawto and Canister vs Cannister
Re: Potayto vs Potawto and Canister vs Cannister
Research vs Arm Waving; Grapeshot vs Sour Grapes.
To the best of my knowledge ....
Recueil de quelques petits ouvrages ....
Re: Recueil de quelques petits ouvrages ....