Napoleon Series Archive 2009

Re: A Napolutionary (Revoleonic?) peace...

Susan,

thank you! I have an entire library shelf full of works on the Vendée and the Chouans, which I need to dip into in more depth - so far I haven't come across anything beyond the early Revolutionary period or the 1815 uprising, but then I haven't really been looking. Good point though.

My period interest started life, like many Brits, with the Peninsula, then transformed over 30 years into more general interest as I became more and more fascinated. I guess my surprise at this four year lacuna was the way in which it suddenly shattered my conceit - one held without much foundation, it has to be said - that the "Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars" represented an unbroken string of conflict all the way from 1792 to 1815, albeit one with several distinct phases and differing sets of protagonists.

Preparations for the planned invasion of England would undoubtedly have occupied much attention, and the thought of the 'police actions' to which you refer is an interesting avenue to pursue. I'm just surprised that there were no apparent conflicts (apart from the glaringly obvious fact that there weren't any formally declared states of war 1801-1805, I've recognised!) during a period in which great attention was being paid to encouraging and motivating the troops (creation of the légion d'honneur etc.)

Thanks for the thought - I'm also going to pursue what was happening in Italy at the time - a theatre I have always roundly ignored after 1799!

Cheers

Tim

Messages In This Thread

A Napolutionary (Revoleonic?) peace...