Napoleon Series Archive 2009

Sénarmont at Friedland

I'm passingly curious. I wonder: at what point in time did Sénarmont's action at Friedland come to be seen as something unique, as the epitome of a specific new tactical, offensive use of artillery?

Both Ephémérides militaires (1818; v.6, p.121) and Victoires, conquêtes, désastres, revers et guerres civiles (1820; v.17, p.168) offer very neutral statements of Sénarmont's use of artillery and no evaluation of his usage as novel. These are the earliest mention I could find on Google Books of Sénarmont's conduct of the artillery at the battle. Worth noting is that Sénarmont is said to have "carried" ("advanced") his artillery forward, but the term "attack" is not used in reference to his actions.

Henry's Histoire de Napoléon Buonaparte (1823, v.3, p.198), Bédoyère's Memoirs of the public and private life of Napoleon Bonaparte (1827; v.2, pp.475-6), Jomini's Vie politique et militaire de Napoléon (1827, v.3, p.360), Guesdon's, Mortonval's & Preau's Histoire des campagnes d'Allemagne: depuis 1807 jusqu'en 1809 (1827; p.87), Montgaillard's Histoire de France, depuis la fin du règne de Louis XVI jusqu'à l'année 1825 (1827; v.6, p.262) -- and the list goes on -- all generally repeat the above, without mention of the artillery as having made an attack, simply that it had been placed at a short distance and proved murderous.

Any number of the other tomes from this early period don't even mention Sénarmont's action at the battle.

I've read AF Becke's piece on Friedland, but he was writing a century later.

Does anyone have any insight into whether contemporaries perceived Sénarmont's actions at Friedland as establishing a new protocol for handling artillery, or at what point afterwards it came to be seen as such? I'd like to separate the hype from the substance. Sénarmont certainly seems to have sought to put artillery into British faces at Talavera, but then that was something French horse artillery had been doing since the Revolution. Clearly, subsequent writers, at some point, came to see Sénarmont's handling as something different. Did his contemporaries?

Puzzling - Howie

Messages In This Thread

Sénarmont at Friedland
Re: Sénarmont at Friedland
Dix ans de mes souvenirs militaires, de 1805-1815.
Sénarmont at Friedland: New Doctrine?
changing the universal sentiment ...
Changing the universal sentiment: did it? How?
Re: Changing the universal sentiment: did it? How?
General Ruty
Senarmont and change *LINK*
The Camp At Boulogne.