Napoleon Series Archive 2009

Hunting down a Military Coin.

Hi.
I have a friend who has a coin from the Napoleonic period and we are wondering if anyone would either know more about it, or where we might research it's origins. My Friend writes:

It's a coin, a little larger than a quarter, and since it's the color of the oldest penny you ever saw, I'm assuming it's copper. When I showed it to my Army veteran brother, he was fascinated by it and said it was a "campaign token," and that such things still existed now and were given as souvenirs to soldiers who
served on a particular campaign/operation.

The obverse has a profile of Wellington crowned with a laurel wreath, and running around the edge is a Latin inscription, "HISPANIAM ET LUSITANIAM RESTITUIT WELLINGTON," which I gather basically means, "Spain and Portugal were liberated by Wellington." On the reverse is a list of battles with their dates, starting chronologically around the edge and continuing in the middle--Vimiera (that's how the coin spells it), Talavera, Almeida, Ciudad Rodrigo, Badajoz, Salamanca, and
closing with "&c. &c. &c."

I am assuming that it is commemorating the liberation of the Peninsula from French control, but before the 1814 invasion of France or Waterloo. I can't imagine any coin listing Wellington's victories not mentioning Waterloo.

Any ideas:

Bill H.

Messages In This Thread

Hunting down a Military Coin.
Peninsular War Restitution Commemorative Medal.
Re: Peninsular War Restitution Commemorative Medal
Re: Peninsular War Restitution Commemorative Medal *LINK*