Napoleon Series Archive 2009

The Camp At Boulogne.

I found this comment, on p 300 of Lessons of war as taught by the great masters and others: selected and arranged from the various operations of war by France James Soady (Published by W.H. Allen, 1870. 565 pages):

“70. The camp at Boulogne, was the first school of the tactics in mass, henceforward destined to be successfully practised on the field of battle, and the war of 1805 gave the first opportunity of bringing them into play.”

http://books.google.com/books?id=QsGEAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA300

What do we know of the ‘school of the tactics’ initiated at the camp at Boulogne?

I found the following on p. 169 of the Historique du 14e réégiment de dragons by Maurice Charles Menuau. Published by Boussod, Valadon et cie, 1889. 334 pages:

http://books.google.com/books?id=lGoaAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA169

“Des manœuvres fréquentes avaient eu lieu pour expérimenter un nouveau règlement de cavalerie, dont l'Empereur avait confié l'exécution aux généraux Bourcier, Klein, Nansouty et Kellermann.

Ce règlement servit de base aux mouvements des divisions de cavalerie sur le champ de bataille dans la campagne qui s'ouvrit en 1805.”

Most of what I have read about the camp at Boulogne is about the major events of Napoleon's presence and naval affairs, not the training of the army. So this looks like a possible neglected area of study. <:^{

Messages In This Thread

The Camp At Boulogne.
Of Possible Interest.
Re: Of Possible Interest.
Re: The Camp At Boulogne.
Ney and Boulogne.
Re: Ney and Boulogne.
Re: Ney and Boulogne. *LINK*
Général Jomini At The Camp De Boulogne.
Re: Général Jomini At The Camp De Boulogne. *LINK*
Re: Général Jomini At The Camp De Boulogne.
Général Jomini At The Camp De Boulogne.