Napoleon Series Archive 2009

Re: Question about backpacks and pikes

I imagine the date would depend on the army, and also if for ceremonial use as opposed to on campaign.
For France, officers and sergeants on campaign were ordered to carry muskets in lieu of polarms as of 1758, although I believe that this practice had been adopted earlier by units serving in the Americas. Officers and NCOs in the French army carried a sword (a straight-bladed epee, not a sabre) alongside their other weapon, so this would be the case regardless of if they were also carrying a spontoon, a halberd, or a musket. French private soldiers also carried epees, until 1764 (again, different in the Americas, where they turned them in and were issued with tomahawks); Grenadiers carried a sabre throughout. The polearms are pretty useless as a weapon - the main use I have seen them put to in re-enactment is for aligning a rank - and the private soldiers' epees were notoriously shoddy, as are their modern reproductions.
I think that I am correct in saying that some sort of polearm was reintroduced into the Napoleonic French service for the men detailed to guard Eagles.

Messages In This Thread

Question about backpacks and pikes