Napoleon Series Archive 2009

U.S. Navy article on conservation of this cannon *LINK*

See link.

I'm no conservation expert, but for long-term outdoor display matched with zero funding for periodic maintenance, I don't care for the microcrystalline wax treatment. It looks nice but the translucence isn't necessary, opacity would serve as well if not better. The US National Park Service at Gettysburg, PA. USA, has hundreds of brass and bronze monument plaques and statues to maintain, not including hundreds of cannon (the cannons are not treated.) They use the micro. wax also but have stated in published articles that each item requires re-treatment about annually.

That's why I prefer simple, inexpensive, very durable, easily-applied paint. I primed and painted some cast-iron cannons with "Rustoleum" primer and paint some 20 years ago, and they still have a full coat of paint with no rust or bare spots showing through. I haven't had any experience with paint on bronze but one bronze cannon in the Washington Navy Yard that's kept in black paint shows no signs of either etching nor soluble product runoff. Note that epoxy paint should not be used if we're to keep within generally-accepted conservation practice, which requires that any such coating be easily removeable.

Messages In This Thread

Museum curators/conservators-outdoor bronze damage
Re: Museum curators/conservators-outdoor bronze da
Re: Museum curators/conservators-outdoor bronze da
Verdigris
Re: Verdigris
Conserved Spanish cannon "EL ALANO"
Re: Link to pix Spanish cannon "EL ALANO" *LINK*
U.S. Navy article on conservation of this cannon *LINK*