Napoleon Series Archive 2009

Re: Also, The Gentleman's Magazine, vol 87, p 184.

Many thanks again, Steve & David. My mum had TB (& recovered) long before I arrived, so it's not an emotional thing with me. "Consumption" is such a 'quaint' term to put to it.

On the original subject, I'm now getting to grips with a little of James Duff's short life, thanks to your assistance. His father, Admiral Robert Duff, as well as his mother Lady Helen, were already deceased by the time James (Alexander) joined the 1st Ft. Guards in 1792, & being the youngest son, would have most probably had his commission purchased (at age of only 15) by his uncle, Lord Fife. He was (slightly) wounded at Ostend in May 1798, thence captured, & apparently returned to England from PoW around Nov. of that year.

Brings me to another casualty of that confontation in the sand-dunes of Ostend. The C.O. of the 11th Foot was a Lt.-Col. Patrick HELY, a 'ranker'of long career, & all in the same regt. His son(?) was then a subaltern in the same regt. (George Granby Hely)& later rose to great heights in the army.

Anyway,according to British newspaper reports of that time, "as communicated by an officer in the Guards, a French Officer began to strip him of his epulettes & watch, the colonel took a pistol from his waistcoat pocket & shot him, whereupon some French soldiers immediately killed him". Some reports say his head was actually shot-off, others say he was bayoneted. "He was an Irishman, (so a typical reaction perhaps) a brave officer, a convivial companion, & much beloved by the soldiers". "He was a gallant veteran of near 70 years of age. He was desirous to retire & sell his commission for the benefit of his wife & family, & 5000 guineas were actually lodged by a gentleman who was to be the purchaser". -Talk about 'stuffing-up' the plans with one 'hot-headed' action. I believe that his wife Charlotte, later received an annual pension of 50 from the government. The equivalent of only 1% of his commission's purchase price, & almost in their grasp.

Apart from what's to be found in Robinson's "The Bloody Eleventh", & in the London Gazette, do you know where else I could look for details about this guy's career ? Perhaps an Obituary exists somewhere ?

Messages In This Thread

Getting the right DUFF.
Re: Getting the right DUFF.
Re: Getting the right DUFF.
A Tale of Two Duffs
Re: A Tale of Two Duffs
"Consumption" is tuberculosis
Re: "Consumption" is tuberculosis
Re: "Consumption" is tuberculosis
Also, The Gentleman's Magazine, vol 87, p 184.
Re: Lt-col. Patrick Hely, d. 1798.
The best use of a Forum.