Napoleon Series Archive 2010

Re: A Question or Two...
In Response To: A Question or Two... ()

Kevin

some answers

Dolleczec is the source for the information on Austrian artillery as is David Hollins. As well as looking at original carriages in Vienna.

The comment about french counter battery fire, and use of shells out of 12-pdr field guns is actually written by Napoleon and are NOT my words.

French caissons. A report of 1824 lists the faults of the caissons, as does General Allix in his obersvation on the Gribeauval system. It is well worth a read. Also. SHAT XAB 56/57 275 Drouot to Lariboissiere cc Clarke 28/10/08, Evain to Gassendi 12/01/09, Lariboissiere to Clarke 28/09/09, 471 Saint-Maurice to Drouot 23/7/13 makes complaints that the caissons cant keep apace with the guns. SHAT C2 525 Lauriston to Napoleon 13/04/13 again 15/05/13, 25/05/13. The gist from these letters are that in Spain, the caissons turn over on bad roads or get stuck in pot holes, in Germany in 1813 the caissons get stuck pot holes and the horses cant move the 12-pdr caissons as they are too heavy, and also on poor ground guns with the horse artillery arrive before the caissons. This is old ground, and I am sure looking through the archives of this forum will show up the previous impass on this.

French 1808 guns. I am in the process of publishing my research on these guns. I am afraid to say Rene Chartrands Osprey has rather missed the mark on the AnXI and modified AnXI guns. The brief overview of this work was published in Dawson P L Summerfield S (2008) French Artillery in 1824 DG&P Doncaster. Well worth the money as it gives a good overview of the source material that is out their as 99% of the historiography of Napoleonic artillery seems almost to be almost exclusively Gribeauval and how wonderful he was, suggest Gribeauvals artillery was the best in the world and AnXI guns were either never built or were rubbish. Any deviation from this is met with open hostility.

Messages In This Thread

bavarian artillery
A Question or Two...
Re: A Question or Two...
Citations...
Re: Citations...
Re: Bavarian artillery.
Re: Bavarian artillery.