Napoleon Series Archive 2010

Re: Tomás de Morla y Pacheco, 1748-1812.

Dear Steve
Thank you. It is interesting that he is the same person as I have in a textbook on the History of Chemistry. Alas my Spanish is rather poor. This is what I made of the information. Comments welcome. I am unclear as to his participation at Bailen etc,....

Tomas de Morla (1847-1812)
He was born in Jerez de la Frontera in 1748 to D. Tomás Morla, notary, and Doña María Pacheco y Valle. He studied at Santo Domingo College in Jerez de la Frontera. In 1764, he joined the newly opened School of Artillery in Segovia and in 1765, he was promoted to 2nd lieutenant in the Artillery.

In 1780, Lieutenant Tomas de Morla of the artillery participated in the unsuccessful siege of Gibraltar. He commanded the floating battery and later directed the construction of a mine at the foot of the Rock of Gibraltar. He was seriously wounded and when he recovered from his wounds, he was commissioned to study visit the various Military Academies in Europe to discover the new advances ballistics and artillery. In 1784, Tomas de Morla (1847-1812) published the first edition of one of the most important textbooks on artillery in four volumes for the Segovia Artillery School that he set up. The second edition published posthumously in 1816 was translated by Hoya into German.
Tomas de Molar (1784) Trattado de Artilleria para el uso de la Academia de Caballeros Cadetes del Real Cuerpo de Artilleria, Volume I-IV, Antonip Espinosa, Segovia [In 1816 2nd Edition was published posthumously.]

In 1792, he became founder at the Barcelona Foundry and this allowed him to put into practice his acquired knowledge. In 1793, hostilities between France and Spain began. Morla became quatermaster general for the army. In 1796, he is chosen as one of the generals tasked in re-organising the army. In 1800, he published three volumes treatise on gunpowder.
Tomas de Morla (1800) Arte de Fabricar la Polvora, Volume I-III, Impreta Real

On 20 September 1800 until December 1808, he was governor of Cadiz and Captain-General of Andalusia. Commanded the Spanish at the defeat of the French at Bailen. In December 1808, he travelled toi Madrid and despite the patriotic fury realised that defence of the capital was impossible. He negotiated the surrender of Madrid to Napoleon who received him graciously. As a result, he was branded a traitor. In December 1812, he died in Madrid in obscurity.

Stephen

Messages In This Thread

Tomas de Morla and Spanish Artillery
Tomás de Morla y Pacheco, 1748-1812.