Soldiers guilty of desertion were branded with the letter "D" (until 1871). Originally the branding was done by the drum major using needles and gun powder. In 1840 marking instruments were used and it became more like a tattoo. Another brand used was "B.C.", which referred to Bad Character. Prior to 1867 these branded soldiers were usually sent to criminal colonies, such as Australia.