Napoleon Series Archive 2015

Re: Napoleon: Dictator or Visionary? *LINK*

I agree completely, yet with dictator, a typical dictionary will list tyrant as synonym, and defines tyrant as "cruel" etc.

This is an example of modern views corrupting our language. In the far future, people will wonder why some past civilizations appointed cruel oppressors during times of war - wouldn't you just want to give absolute power to someone during the crisis?

Did Napoleon ever deny that he was a dictator, and even more than a dictator when compared to his favored Rome?

Would Napoleon have chosen to be an Emperor had the assassination attempts and Coalitions against France ceased in 1802?

Susan, I've often seen you deride Napoleon's quest for glory, but I found this recently and I wonder if it is still true in Napoleon's time (I don't know):

Q: Lafayette and Washington both sought glory. Please give us a taste of what glory meant to each man?

A: In eighteenth-century France and America, military men shared a common ideal of glory that had nothing to do with notions of splendor or pomp. In 1762, a French dictionary defined glory as a “reputation” garnered through “virtue, merit, great qualities, good actions and beautiful works” Glory was synonymous with “honor, esteem, praise.” In a 1778 letter, Lafayette explained his ambitions to Washington by writing that “glory” was his only goal. Washington would have understood Lafayette’s meaning; twenty years earlier, he had written his own letter describing his yearning for glory, which he defined as “that laudable Ambition of serving Our Country and meriting its applause.”

From http://www.hermione2015.com/blog6.html#entry

Messages In This Thread

Napoleon: Dictator or Visionary?
Re: Napoleon: Dictator or Visionary?
Re: Napoleon: Dictator or Visionary? *LINK*