Napoleon Series Archive 2015

Re: Napoleon: Dictator or Visionary?

I'll repost the quote:

In eighteenth-century France and America, military men shared a common ideal of glory that had nothing to do with notions of splendor or pomp. In 1762, a French dictionary defined glory as a “reputation” garnered through “virtue, merit, great qualities, good actions and beautiful works” Glory was synonymous with “honor, esteem, praise.” In a 1778 letter, Lafayette explained his ambitions to Washington by writing that “glory” was his only goal. Washington would have understood Lafayette’s meaning; twenty years earlier, he had written his own letter describing his yearning for glory, which he defined as “that laudable Ambition of serving Our Country and meriting its applause.”

VIRTUE
MERIT
GREAT QUALITIES
GOOD ACTIONS
BEAUTIFUL WORKS
synonymous with
HONOR
ESTEEM
PRAISE
where Washington wrote
"that laudable Ambition of serving Our Country and meriting its applause."

If you didn't know the authors, you would not know their vocation, but soldier would probably not be most's first guess.

I definitely think you have a persistent bias against those associated with the military.

My question remains - what was Napoleon's concept of Glory? Was it the above... or was it taking that hill leaving one's sword buried deep in the chest of one's adversary? As Napoleon was not a Ney/Murat type, I will remain open minded that he was possibly more like Washington and less like Errol Flynn.

What if... WHAT IF... Napoleon was a good guy who wanted citizens to do best for the country during times of almost constant onslaught?

Messages In This Thread

Napoleon: Dictator or Visionary?
Re: Napoleon: Dictator or Visionary? *LINK*