Napoleon Series Archive 2015

Re: "du champ de bataille de Waterloo"

It is not my observation - Michel Damiens is where I first saw it, and he has detailed analysis of this order and the Ligny/Bertrand order and calls into question both. I believe Bernard Coppens doubts the June 18th 1pm order's post script.

https://www.scribd.com/michel_damiens

One thing is certain, the (imperfect) memories of many French officers often conflicts with the (imperfect) correspondence that has been left. And of course that is often true.

When I was analyzing this campaign, I tried to validate every piece of correspondence against other sources - order to move, was it received, did it move, etc. I tried to double check everything Pierre de Wit did, but that was impossible - but generally the correspondence that has been left has proven to be an accurate record of what was sent/received.

But the fact that something was written and acted upon does not tell the whole story, for as we'll see, Napoleon clearly was not aware of all the correspondence, both sent and received, and his words as reported by himself and numerous staff around him do not match the content of all dispatches...

Messages In This Thread

The Waterloo Campaign - June 10th *PIC*
"du champ de bataille de Waterloo"
Re: "du champ de bataille de Waterloo"
Re: The Waterloo Campaign - June 10th
Re: "Der Verrat im Kriege 1815".