Napoleon Series Archive 2015

Re: Murat at Waterloo
In Response To: Re: Murat at Waterloo ()

If this is true, explain please:

- In Gourgaud's diaries (never meant to be seen) Napoleon denied Soult's assistance in casual conversations and said that Soult had said the King had won him over - he also said Soult would hate it if "they" (meaning Napoleon's entourage) thought Soult betrayed at Waterloo. Gourgaud hated Soult according to Napoleon.
- O'Meara reports that Napoleon denied Soult's assistance in 1815, but joked that things were lined up well enough that he would vote him guilty if on a jury.
- What was the purpose of Soult's March 8th Order of the Day? I guess you will say that the worse Soult spoke of Napoleon, the more likely, it would seem, that he was trying to assist Napoleon? And of course, "everyone knew I hated that man's tyranny" he would say in his justification - who was everyone?
- What was with the hostile March 26th meeting, and Napoleon requiring Soult to sign a written oath and deliver it in person, as well as the numerous letters Soult wrote to Davout for assistance in gaining favor with Napoleon? Was Napoleon not aware of Soult aiding him? Did Soult deny it just to keep it to himself to protect himself in the case of a Bourbon restoration?

I understand your logic - but you are suggesting that Soult was so devoted that he would sacrifice himself in many ways to aide Napoleon, yet there is no evidence that Soult was aware of Napoleon's return. There is lots of material on Napoleon's return and who he had reached out to and gained intelligence from etc. Further, you are suggesting that Soult began this undermining of the Bourbons in December of 1814 - was he that brilliant and forward a thinker that he could foretell the enablement of Napoleon's return? And if so, where was this brilliance in June of 1815?

Clearly I do not see much to support this theory - but can I count of you to support calling for the Reille-Soult family to release Soult's papers from 1815?

Messages In This Thread

Murat at Waterloo