Napoleon Series Archive 2015

Re: June 14th, Part 2
In Response To: Re: June 14th, Part 2 ()

"At this point, some tremendous research would need to be done to adequately understand the provisioning of armies that are potentially cutting each other off, and these very real concerns are one reason why reality was never quite as fluid as a game." - Stephen

Very true. The old adige of ameturs studying tactics while professionals study logistics comes to mind.

If the Battle of Florennes is a corps on corps match up I think it ends the first day as a draw, but I think it puts the brakes of N's movements towards Brussels.

Day two of the battle if the Prussians decide to continue finds Prussian II corps moving up.

On the French side I think N with 6e Corps, the Guard and at least two cavalry corps move up. This causes the Prussians to fall back while Wellington has been allowed to shore up the Prussian defences at Charleroi.

Blucher is able to avoid heavy combat as he concentrates three of his corps back towards Namur and N is now looking at a very concentrate Allied army centered on Charleroi and Namur.

N switches to the defense, and loses any chance of winning.

However, if Blucher stands up to N on the second day the Prussians receive a beating. Not as bad a Ligny, but it gives N good press. I don't think Blucher fight N there as the Allies did come up with a good game plan in '13 to avoid N in battle and beat up any French forces operating away from N. Now does Wellington take the offensive and try to bloody the French forces covering N's left flank? No. I would require a river crossing. He awaits a better opening. So we end up with everybody staring across the river Sambre.

N switches to the defense, and loses any chance of winning.

Messages In This Thread

June 14th, Part 2 *PIC*