Napoleon Series Archive 2015

Re: Waterloo 2015 Re-enactment
In Response To: Re: Waterloo 2015 Re-enactment ()

After seeing Napoleonic Austrians turn up at re-enactment of the battle of Blenheim (1704), I have managed to take a more relaxed attitude to who turns up at these jamborees. They are, after all, conducted entirely for the benefit of the re-enactors themselves, with only a passing nod to the audience who are perched far too far away to see much anyway. Having said that, the single greatest lesson from seeing the two re-enactments of Waterloo was the way the troops on the field vanished behind solid banks of smoke very quickly. Any critique of battlefield performance by any army needs to take this salutary lesson on board.
I am sorry to hear that some re-enactors did not make the cut. There seemed to be plenty of British, French and Prussians about. Does Dominick know whether that was really the case?
Some of my tour group got very confused when red coats appeared in the ranks of the Army of the North. A quick briefing on the Swiss regiments in the French service soon put them straight. Nice model of the Swiss storming the Pont du Christ at a small exhibition in Wavre was a bonus on the tour.

Messages In This Thread

Waterloo 2015 Re-enactment