Napoleon Series Archive 2015

Re: How the Pound beat Napoleon

I think you make a confusion between the numerous commercial ships sent to Russia at start of french invasion, fully loaded with goods, and military supplies, which arrived much later. This is clearly tracked in the books I cited.
England could not have prepared military convoy to Russia, which was its ennemy, until Napoleon's offensive.

I think Russian campaign decisive, more than Leipzig: men, horses, guns, and prestige were lost in Russia that could not be recovered in 1813. Even after victories of Lützen and Bautzen, unexperienced and "under horsed" (is this english?) french armies could not achieve a decisive action.

I don't know for Austria, but Prussian army of 1813 clearly needed english support to grow from 50.000 to more than 200.000 men in a few month.

I totally agree with your final conclusion: Russia had the capacity to mobilize and equip large armies to protect motherland, without bothering much to pay them, but required english help to campaign outside its frontier, where finance, supply, and at hand re-equipment were compulsory (as anglo-russian expedition in Holland 1799 proved).

Messages In This Thread

How the Pound beat Napoleon *LINK*
references
How Alexander helped beat Napoleon ...