Napoleon Series Archive 2015

Austrian Military Airguns
In Response To: Re: Tyrol Airguns ()

Austrian Military Airguns is the title. Don't know about the pub date. I was pretty close to finishing it off and even had proof printed but then -stupidly doing some more research- found the Col Figner story of his using an air cane in 1813 so decided to investigate further, concentrating on his stay in Naples after the Russian expedition in 1805 had left, which led me to Sir Sidney Smith. What a wild ride Smith turned out to be: the Hero of Acre, denying N. his "destiny," burning the French fleet at Toulan under the eyes of N., his escape from the Paris Temple, etc, etc.

Up to this point, there really wasn't much about airguns concerning the Napoleonic wars. There were airguns reported at 1809 Castle Graz but it wasn't until wanting to understand Figner 1813 that I felt compelled to study the Napoleonic wars better.

Also hoping to finally get a result back from the Tyrollean airgun in Dresden.

Studying airguns in history is not like other subjects. There's not many opportunities to compare one source against another. There are so few sources that it is like trying to see a phantom. Col. Figner in southern Italy is such a phantom, I'm never going to see any reports of him there, but, I am pretty certain that the elusive Figner would have been employed by Admiral Smith in his guerrilla war in the Calabria. So, my hope is study and understand Smith to highest degree possible for some hints. Confirming that Smith was a regular operative of the British Secret Service goes a long way towards explaining how a Russian Colonel in 1812-1813 ends up operating as a behind-the-lines undercover agent armed with an advanced air cane.

Messages In This Thread

Particulars Regarding Grouchy's Army
Re: Particulars Regarding Grouchy's Army
bad press
Re: bad press