Napoleon Series Archive 2015

Re: Book for the forum
In Response To: Re: Book for the forum ()

Kevin,

I don't know why I bother but let me explain once more that the 'Corsican Ogre' tag was propaganda of its time and does not inform popular consciousness (such as it is) of Napoleon today. Obviously there is a vague background awareness that we beat him and that this was a Good Thing but that is about as much as most people would know.

Educated people may have a bit more knowledge but given the tendency of the British educational establishment to be hostile to Our Glorious Past I doubt that there would be any anti-Napoleon bias - probably not in the last 70 years at least. The period wasn't on the syllabus when I was at school, my son recently did it at A-level and got top marks for a distinctly pro-Napoleon outlook.

Historians of all countries have different views of Napoleon: there are French writers who have disapproved of him and British writers who have been in favour, some of these have been better informed than others - on both sides of the debate. Most of us posting on this forum who are hostile have come to that opinion as a result of what we have learned, other people who have read the same material have formed a different opinion. The important thing is that information and basic facts are brought out and discussed, not what conclusions people come to.

regards,

Susan

Messages In This Thread

Book for the forum
Of Possible Interest.