Thanks for the tip. Will give it a try next time having a Fraktur text.
Usually, I find that even if a OCR does a pretty good job the time it takes to find all of the OCR errors I could have hand transcribed the text in less time. All too often, I've ended up stuck on a word only to go back, after much effort, and find that it was an OCR error.
Modern German translates reasonably well. It's older text, when there were no real rules and before the spelling reforms, when things get weird. Add into that, translating southern German (Austrian) text with it's weird spelling and sometimes even different definitions and it gets stranger yet.
One of my favorite translations was with a new thesis on General Mack. It was PDF, so no OCR excuses. Wanted to use a large section of it -describing in detail the plans for the Austrian 1787 sneak attack on Belgrade; which was the first ever planned use of the Austrian Military Airgun- and the author agreed but he insisted on reviewing my translation. Gulp! Felt like an important finals test in school. Managed to do reasonably well with only minor corrections. Probably a B+ from the good doctor.
The thesis is „Der unglückliche Mack“ „Aufstieg und Fall des Karl Mack von Leiberich“ by Ernst Rainer Gramm, which has already been discussed here.