Napoleon Series Archive 2015

Amnon Cohen: Special article does it exist?

(Hi guys! Been very busy but wanted to stop on by for a little Christmas Cheer. Happy Seasonings to all!)

Dwyer mentions Amnon Cohen's book, Palestine in the 18th century;patterns of government and administration by Amnon Cohen (1973) Jerusalem, in reference to Sidney Smith in a footnote (which turns out to be appropriate) that states something to the effect that Cohen suggests too much credit has been given to Smith (Dwyer book is back with library, so don't have exact quote.) In any case, figured that this made it worthwhile to check this book out via interlibrary loan.

First, I really like this book and find it an extremely valuable resource to better understand one of the major players at the Siege of Acre. At best, in most sources there has been only a superficial treatment of Jezzar. Cohen throws a lot of valuable light on the subject. As I've said before, to my knowledge, there is no modern definitive work on the 1799 Siege of Acre. Note, however much it adds to the story, Cohen's book is far from being a definitive work on the subject of Acre; none of the basic British texts on Acre are in the bibliography.

Regarding Smith and his treatment in history, the only thing that actually exists is this curious footnote:

p. 28, footnote 63:

There is a certain tendency among different historians to under-estimate Jezzar’s role in the defence of Acre while Smith, the commander of the British squadron, is credited with all the glory Having gone through some of Smith’s correspondence it seems to us more than possible that the importance of Jezzar’s role was deliberately played down. [This aspect, which was dealt with in my (unpublished) Jezzar Ahmed Pasa (pp. 49-50) will be be separately elaborated in a special article.]

I've looked for Cohen's "special article" without success. Does anyone know if any of this ever actually made the light of day?

Note: It's actually very nice that Cohen is entirely honest about not having anything substantial to back up his rather loose statements about Jezzar v Smith and how much "glory" they deserved and would deal with it later. Just curious if he ever actually did it.

Messages In This Thread

Amnon Cohen: Special article does it exist?
Re: Amnon Cohen: Thesis