Mark's question got me thinking - I've never paid much attention to the officers of the militia, and now I am wondering:
- did they purchase their commissions, and if so how did the price of them compare to those of line regiments?
- what happened when the militia was disbanded at the end of the war? (i.e. did the officers lose the money they had spent purchasing a commission if they did so).
- was there any equivalent of half pay for militia officers?
- is there any record of the location of militia regiments over the course of the war; how often they moved, and where they were at any one time?
- are there any modern studies of life as a militia officer, or how the militia worked? (No, I'm not tempted to tackle it, interesting as it might be).
Mostly just idle curiosity, but it all helps build up the picture of the times.