Napoleon Series Discussion Forum

The Most Monstrous of Wars

After being 'invited' by friend Fletcher to read the above book by Milton Finley on the Napoleonic counterinsurgency in Calabria from 1806-1811 I ordered the book and it came today. It's a thin volume, very well done, and I have only begun to read it. I have yet to come across the 'tens of thousands' comment by friend Fletcher, but I did find that 20,000 French troops were killed in Calabria during the insurgency, but I am in the process of going through the book and will perhaps find the referenced 'tens of thousands' of Calabrians that were killed by the French.

I did, however, come across this interested description of Sidney Smith on page 31, given by Henry Bunbury:

'Sir Sidney was an enthusiast, always panting for distinction; restlessly active, but desultory in his views; extravagantly vain; daring, quick sighted, and fertile in those resources which befit a partisan leader; but he possessed no great depth of judgment, nor any fixity of purpose, save that of persuading mankind, as he was fully persuaded himself, that Sidney Smith was the most brilliant of chevaliers.' The quotation is cited as being taken from Narrative of Some Passages in the Great War with France (1799-1810) by Sir Henry Bunbury, 154.

Messages In This Thread

The Most Monstrous of Wars
20,000 French army dead in Calabria
Re: 20,000 French army dead in Calabria
Stuart
Re: Stuart
Great book and Marescot?
Re: Great book and Marescot?
Re: Great book and Marescot?