Napoleon Series Discussion Forum

Re: qu’ils sautent les fossés, qu’ils se chargent

Cadoudal, evidently had great faith in the level of opposition to the republican regime, which, when he arrrived in Paris, he realised had been exagerated. He also must have trusted the persuasiveness of the funds he had at his disposal. It seems extrordinary that he ordered a consignment of military uniforms to be made up in Paris (as disguise for the mounted snatch squad), confident that this would not attract attention. He did not understand the extent to the Police Secret had eyes and ears everywhere and to what extent he and his Royalist co-conspirators were being manipulated, although there is a risk of depicting the French counter intelligence as being more coordinated and in control of events than they were. (The same can be said for the British intelligence effort. MI5, MI6 and SOE were a long way down the road!)

I am looking forward to reading Elizabeth Sparrow's book, Secret Service: British Agents in France, 1792–1815.

In the meantime, this online article from 2004 seemed to me to be an even-handed narrative of Georges' last adventure, albeit not presented ito an academic standard. (I know, shocking) https://www.napoleon.org/histoire-des-2-empires/articles/cadoudal-et-le-coup-essentiel/#informations

Messages In This Thread

Romsey & le périlleuse entreprise
qu’ils sautent les fossés, qu’ils se chargent