Napoleon Series Discussion Forum

Re: qu’ils sautent les fossés, qu’ils se chargent

I think the article is totally biased towards Georges, I wonder if it is based on that book by his relative which has been referred to. It is not altogether accurate on some points.

However, this I will assent to:
>Ce qui se passa, en 1803, au niveau des services de renseignements britannique, français, bonapartiste et royaliste, car les blancs possédaient leurs propres agences, est difficile à démêler. On se livra, des deux côtés de la Manche, à une double opération d'intoxication et de désinformation de l'adversaire ; celle-ci prit de telles proportions qu'il fut vite impossible de savoir qui manipulait l'autre.

Thanks for those clarifications, Susan. The story becomes all the more human. A good point about the XXL size coat. (Must we harp on that? I was a chubby child).

Yes, I found the article certainly sympathetic to Georges' story but seemed to me neither the unashamed hagiography of Cadoudal neveu (which is the more substantial of two books written by family members), and at least avoiding the lazy recycling of factoids that we have been discussing. I may have missed some of the altogether-not-factual poimts. However, it was indeed that very quotation you quote that caught my attention.

Messages In This Thread

Romsey & le périlleuse entreprise
qu’ils sautent les fossés, qu’ils se chargent