Napoleon Series Discussion Forum

Re: Landzat
In Response To: Landzat ()

Hi all,

I'm the author of the Oud Utrecht article, mentioned in an earlier post in this discussion. Some of you found me directly earlier :)

My Landzaten article in Oud Utrecht is the only one about Landzaten based on original archive sources, that I know of. Earlier publications are based only on secondary literature. I'm working on an article about the Landzaten nationwide. They were active in Utrecht and Holland especially, and some in Gelderland. Like Geert mentioned, mostly for the artillery, although Holland had Landzaten infantry as well.

It was one of the 5 articles I wrote on the 1793-1795 war in the Province of Utrecht alone. Year by year I work my way through every Dutch archive (national, regional, local) and publish on larger or smaller issues. The Dutch in the 1793-1795 Revolutionary War is my main (if not only) interest during the Napoleonic era.

Should anyone be interested in my (Dutch) articles, some are available online:

North-east Utrecht: work on the defence line Grebbelinie, quarters of British and German units, as well as emigré regiments, British hospitals in Amersfoort churches, movements to the east after 14/15 January 1795. For the full article (Dutch) see https://dspace.library.uu.nl/handle/1874/312440

South-east Utrecht: quarters of Dutch, British and German units (and emigrés) in the villages, German hospitals in Wijk bij Duurstede and British hospitals in Rhenen, work on the defence line Grebbelinie, British last stand on the shores of the river Lek, retreat to the nort-east see http://bibe.library.uu.nl/zoek/sabine/index.php?rec=6494761
I have an electronic copy somewhere, and will post it for those interested.

Two smaller (local) articles are:

‘Het debacle Van Bruegel’, in De Vechtkroniek (2014). About aspects of the regiment Oranje-Nassau at Fort Nieuwersluis in 1794.
‘Dragonders aan de linie’, in: Grebbelinie in Beeld (december 2013). British dragoons quartered in Renswoude in 1794-1795.

The last large Utrecht article is in the Jaarboek Oud Utrecht 2015. It is a recap of the earlier articles and I corrects some earlier mistakes, based on later research: ‘Beroofd, mishandeld en verbitterd: de bevolking van Utrecht in de oorlog van 1794-1795’. (Robed, abused and bitter: the Utrecht inhabitants in the war of 1794-1795). Where the other two large articles are mainly about rural quarters and events, this last article focuses on urban events during the war.

I'm studying the Brabant archives now, with these main themes:
- Dumouriers conquest of West Brabant in 1793, incl. the civilian unrest, evacuation and damage through the floodings.
- British, German and Dutch camps in west Brabant. Their routes to north and east.
- Pichegru's camps in Den Bosch and east Brabant, skirmishes in autumn and winter 1794-1795 (you might have read about Boxtel, Geldermalsen)

I have some English translations of earlier publications planned as well as a visit to Kew, for the necessary British perspective. Perhaps someone can give advice on the periodicals or sites that might be interested? :)

Greetings,

Raymond

Messages In This Thread

Landzat
Landzaat = inhabitant
Re: Landzaat = inhabitant