Napoleon Series Discussion Forum

Re: Jomini's "Life of Napoleon"

I can only speak for the course itself when I took it in AY 75-76. The Napoleonic section of the course was excellent and I believe we spent at least a week or two on it, which was good and the instruction was excellent.

Since then, more has happened in warfare which has been included in the course and other material was added and some of it was shortened and/or modified. This accounts for the changing texts, etc.

There is a new series of books out and I don't know if they are using them as texts. I have two of them, on the Civil War and the American Revolution: The West Point History of the Civil War and The West Point History of the American Revolution. They are fine as primers, but not up to the old standards when General Esposito was the head of the Department. There is also a two-volume set on War II, which I don't have. The text is a little thin, but they are well-illustrated.

The book on the Revolution is touted as 'the definitive single-volume military history of our nation's founding' and 'the best military history of its kind available anywhere.' It is neither. I don't know if they are being used as texts at West Point.

Messages In This Thread

Memoirs of Baron de Marbot
Re: Memoirs of Baron de Marbot